The Municipal Theater is a landmark of the city of Piraeus. It was founded in 1884, according to designs of the architect Ioannis Lazarimos. Its construction took 10 years and it started operating in 1895. It is considered the most important neoclassical building in the city and one of the most important theaters of the country. Many famous Greek directors, such as Karolos Koun, Alexis Solomos, Dimitris Rondiris, Spyros Evaggelatos, have presented their work there. The establishment of the Municipal Theatre of Piraeus expressed the vision of the emerging bourgeoisie and the intellectuals of that time to designate the city as a cultural international centre. Its internal layout followed the standard of the “Theatre d 'Odeon” Paris.
Its main stage is in baroque style, while the square of the theater could accommodate up to 1,300 spectators. In 2008 renovation works began which brought out all of the ornate details of the ceiling. The renovated Municipal theater started its operation during October 2013. Since then the viewers can enjoy an interesting program including theatrical plays, concerts, exhibitions, interactive theater, educational programs and many more.
The theater is located at 34 Iroon Polytechniou Str.
Tel.: +30 210 4194560