PIRAEUS

  • Piraeus CHURCES-1
  • Piraeus CHURCES-2
  • Piraeus CHURCES-3

THE CHURCES

  • AGIA TRIADA. This is the city’s cathedral and it was built to replace the older church that was bombarded by the Allies, in January 1944. It follows the Byzantine architectural standards, its internal area is of 836 square meters and the dome is supported in 8 vaults and 8 arches. The external doors are made of brass of a particular style and its ornate temple is made of marble. The church was painted by the iconographer St. Almaliotis and his student A. Liakos. It is located on 2 Ethnikis Antistaseos Str. at the junction with Vasileos Georgiou Str.
  • AGIOS NIKOALOS. The impressive Agios Nikolaos church was built at the end of the 19th century and it is a creation of the same architect who designed the Municipal Theater of Piraeus, Ioannis Lazarimos. It imposes on the area of Customs just across from the Exhibition Centre of the Piraeus Port Authority, on 1 Agiou Nikolaou Str.
  • PROPHET ELIAS (CASTELLA HILL). The Prophet Elias is well-known for its position on the top of Castella hill.  It is a very popular temple for the people of Piraeus concerning wedding ceremonies due to tits excellent location. Previously, in the place where Phophet Elias is located today, there was a chapel which belonged to the Monastery of St. Spyridon and was destroyed by an earthquake. In 1986 it was built in its place the present parish church in Basilica style which was painted by iconographers of Piraeus. The Prophet Elias over the years has given its name to the hill. So do not be surprised if you hear the residents of Piraeus to call Castella as Prophet Elias Hill.
  • AGIOS SPYRIDON. The church was founded on the ruins of the monastery of Agios Spyridon dated in the 11th century. In April 1827 Georgios Karaiskakis with naval forces of European philhellenes under Lord Cochrane sieged the monastery in which men of Kioutachi Pasha had fortified themselves. Finally, after severe bombardments from land and sea, they managed to occupy it.  The present church was built in 1875 under Mayor D. Moutsopoulos, just on the ruins of the destroyed monastery. It is located on 1 Miaouli Coast.
  • AGIOS PAVLOS CATHOLIC CHURCH. The proposed design of the architect Schaubert was presented on 7 October 1838 and it was accepted with slight modifications. The work began immediately and on 23 October 1838 the foundation stone was laid. The construction of the church that was dedicated to the Apostle Paul was completed in December 1839. On 27 November 1840, an oil painting by Gustavo Frank of the Apostle Paul preaching the Christian faith to the Athenians was placed above the altar. In 1896 the main facade took the form that it has today. A base from big rectangular stones supports four round columns placed on marble bases. The capitals of the columns are of the Corinthian order. In the outmost corners of the facade two bell towers are constructed. In 1971 the church was enlarged. It is located on 23 Philonos Str.
  • AGIA AIKATERINI. The church in Alexandras square literally hides an incredible story. More specifically, the original chapel was built by an Italian, named Vincenzo Caivano, in honor of his wife Catherine, when she died in 1934. Vincenzo asked the workers to build an underground crypt in the church which began its operation three years later where he placed the relics of his wife in a bronze coffin with glass so her face was visible. Since then the Italian spent endless hours in the crypt crying over his lost Katerina. As it turned out, however, this was not the only cause of his isolation. On the verge of the war between Italy and Greece, the British espionage identified encrypted messages coming from the area where the church was located. With the help of radio direction finders, the Greek authorities discovered that they were emitted from St Catherine and they researched the area of the crypt where they discovered a transmitter –quite high tech for its time! The sad widower was arrested on charges of espionage. His name, however, was kept in the chapel of St Catherine which took the name of St Vincent ...
  • ΑGIOS VASILEIOS. The original small church was built in 1873 in the then deserted area of Freatida by a municipal clerk, Vasilis Georgakakis, who aspired to become a sexton. Οver the next years large mansions were built around the church. After the death of Georgakakis, the Municipality decided in 1899 to replace the small church with a much bigger and impressive church in Byzantine style which would stand on top of the hill. The inauguration took place in November 1909, nine years since its construction began, and after the church went through various misadventures and economic hurdles...
  • CHURCH OF AG. KONSTANTINOS & ELENI. It is located in Korai Square and it was founded upon plans of John Lazarimos (who is also responsible for the Municipal Theatre of Piraeus and other notable buildings in the city), in July 1878. It is considered one of the largest in Piraeus. In 1934 the first night school classes in the city began inside the church, and the cathedral of Piraeus was created when Agia Triada was destroyed from the bombings of January 1944.
  • AGIA PARASKEVI KALLIPOLEOS. It was launched in October 1940, in the region of Nea Kallipoli and in 1946 the later Archbishop and president of the Cypriot Democracy, Makarios, performed his duties here. St Paraskevi, the original building of which is connected with refugees who came from the area of Bithynia, at the Sea of Marmara, owns the chapel of St Sozon in Piraeus Peninsula. Facing the sea, it is located next to the court of Porfyras. St Sozon is the patron of sailors from the island of Limnos and he is celebrated on September 7.