PIRAEUS

  • Piraeus KARAISKAKIS STADIUM-1
  • Piraeus KARAISKAKIS STADIUM-2
  • Piraeus KARAISKAKIS STADIUM-3

G. KARAISKAKIS STADIUM

The famous stadium was originally built in 1895, as a Velodrome. Its purpose was to be used during the 1896 Athens Olympic Games. Its use as a football stadium began in the 1920s. 1960 was the year of full reconstruction and it was renamed as Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium, a name that remains until this day in memoriam of Chief General Georgios Karaiskakis (1782-1827), who was killed at Neo Faliro, during the 1821 Greek Revolution. The stadium was connected to Olympiacos, who has lived great moments of glory and triumph within its walls. In 2003, however, this historic stadium was taken down. A brand new, ultra-modern, fully- covered, football-only stadium that can hold up to 32,115 spectators was built. The stadium provides the fans with the chance to combine match attendance with a walk in the surrounding area, where one may find shops, a gym, coffee shops, restaurants, plus the Olympiacos Museum and the club’s official store, the Red Store. G. Karaiskakis Stadium is also the home ground of the Greek Men’s National Football Team.
For more information please visit www.olympiacos.org

THE OLYMPIACOS MUSEUM. Every top club, like Olympiacos, must evidently respect and draw attention to its history; let alone when said history is written in gold letters and largely graced by titles, honors and successes. Trophies, photographs of years long gone starting from the founding era of the club until now; portraits of most players who have played under Olympiacos flag; objects that have made history such as balls, shoes, goalkeeper gloves and an adequate number of historic shirts, are on display at the Olympiacos Museum. Moreover, there are many heirlooms from other sports which Olympiacos used to and still excels in, such as rowing, wrestling, basketball, boxing. Visitors may also attend lectures and seminars, call on temporary exhibitions and participate in actions and events. A second museum of Olympiacos is due to operate soon.
It is housed in the G.Karaiskaki stadium, Karaoli Dimitriou & Sofianopoulou str.
Tel.: +30 210 4800921
www.olympiacos.org/olympiacos-museum
E-mail: mouseio@olympiacos.org